Top 5 Kitchen Remodeling Companies in Grand Rapids, MI
Whether you’re looking for kitchen remodeling in Grand Rapids or another city in Michigan, you’ll find that there are a number of different companies that can help you. But which ones are the best? Here are a few that you should consider hiring to help make your dream kitchen come true.
Founded in 1968 by Dave Visser, Kenowa Builders offers custom home building services in Grand Rapids. This family-owned business is known for high-quality design performed in a timely manner.
Wally Wyma and his sons, Cory and Nick, have carried on the tradition of quality craftsmanship. Their team is dedicated to providing a seamless construction process, putting their client’s needs first.
The firm also has a long track record of completing projects on time and within budget. They have a strong connection with the local community and industry partners. Their expertise is evident in their award-winning work.
Berghuis Construction is a West Michigan company that provides a wide range of services, including building, remodeling, lakeshores, and interior design. They also provide open communication and transparency throughout the construction process.
Whether you are looking to renovate or build, Berghuis Construction in Grand Rapids, MI is a contractor that will deliver quality results and customer satisfaction. The firm specializes in renovations, additions, and custom homes. They guarantee customer satisfaction and transparency throughout the construction process.
The firm’s award-winning craftsmanship is evident in every project. Their team of skilled carpenters and highly experienced project managers are dedicated to delivering artistry on every job. Whether you are seeking a contemporary, farmhouse or mid-century modern design, the Berghuis Construction team has the expertise to create the home of your dreams.
The company’s work has been featured in several publications. They have received recognition from Professional Builder magazine and Beautiful Homes. In addition, their work has been recognized by the HBA of Michigan and the Lakeshore Home Builders Association.
HWC Home Works Corp.
Among the large number of home improvement firms vying for your business, HWC stands out for its plethora of products and services. Regardless of whether you’re in the market for a whole house remodel, a kitchen makeover, or just a new set of countertops, you can count on HWC to deliver a quality experience. Their team of experts will guide you through the maze of selection, bid, and payment processes. Their mission is to provide you with a stress-free experience. They are open Monday through Saturday for your convenience. You can also schedule an appointment with a HWC representative for a free in-home estimate. You can bet that this company will be around for the long haul.
It’s no surprise that HWC has received a slew of industry awards and accolades for their accomplishments. These include the aforementioned Super Service award by Angie’s List, the Grand Rapids Chamber of Commerce’s most prestigious award, and the Best Small Business award by the Kent County Business Bureau.
Founded by Pat and Sandie Thompson in 1980, Thompson Remodeling provides design-build residential remodeling services in the Grand Rapids, Michigan area. Whether you are looking for kitchen renovation, bathroom remodeling or home expansion, Thompson Remodeling will work with you to make your dream space a reality. They are members of the Remodelers Advantage program, a local partnership dedicated to making family businesses successful.
A few years ago, Ben Tenhulzen, the son of the company’s founders, was asked to take the reigns of the business. Previously, he had worked in a number of roles in the company. He served as a salesperson for a few years, but eventually transitioned into the general manager role. After two years, he decided to take the ownership of the company. During this transition, he worked with other family business owners to make sure he was prepared.
JBJ Building & Remodeling Inc.
Whether you are looking to remodel your bathroom, add a second story, or even build a new home, JBJ Building & Remodeling Inc. of Comstock Park, Michigan, has the experience to make your project a reality. They have a team of experts who can help you navigate your project from start to finish. They have the experience, the knowledge, and the materials to get your job done on time and on budget.
The company has been in business since 2012. The company’s head honcho is Bill Lindahl, who has over 40 years of experience in the construction industry. He served in the United States Air Force, and is currently involved with the Emmanuel Baptist Church in Lemont. He also has a passion for teaching young children, and is a proud father of seven.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can a basement bathroom increase home value?
If a bathroom has been added to a property, it is more likely that the owner will sell. The addition of a bathroom increases the likelihood that buyers will consider buying the property for resale purposes as well as for personal use. People who buy homes tend to want at least two bathrooms. But, adding a bathroom to the basement does not automatically increase your home’s worth. The location of the bathroom is key. It will impact the overall value of the house if the bathroom is located in the basement.
But, the bathroom could be located in another room of the house like the living space, which would not negatively impact the home’s overall market value. Because it makes the house look larger, some homeowners choose to put a bathroom in the basement.
In conclusion, adding a bath is always a good idea for the homeowner. But it is important to do it right so that it does not affect the overall home’s worth.
How much will a bathroom remodel raise your home value by 2022?
A bathroom remodel costs on average $17,000. A bathroom remodel can add up to $10,000 to the value of your home if you intend on selling it within five years.
Here are the reasons.
- A new coat of paint can transform your bathroom’s look from dull to fabulous. You don’t have to remodel your entire bathroom. A quick update will transform it from something ordinary into something extraordinary.
- If you are thinking of moving soon you will want to postpone major renovations until your current house is sold. You can upgrade your existing bathroom with modern fixtures, even if you have to wait.
- It is possible to install a shower in lieu of a bathtub. This saves space in your bathroom. You can also fit more storage in this way.
- You can give your space a contemporary, modern feel by installing a recessed mirror. A recessed vanity mirror also adds storage space beneath the sink.
- You can reduce your monthly electricity bills by replacing old light bulbs with more energy-efficient models.
- A walk-in shower will save you the effort of going outside to go to the loo. You can also keep your bathroom tidy.
Many homeowners underestimate the expense of bathroom remodels.
If you’re thinking of selling your house within five year, you should look into a bathroom renovation.
You might even choose to do some work yourself. You can also hire professionals to offer all the services that you need at a reasonable price.
Here are some tips for bathroom renovations that you can DIY.
- Select a color scheme that matches the rest of your home.
- Make sure your bathroom has enough space for all your toiletries.
- You should also include a towel rack and a shelf over the basin for towels and other household items.
- Consider installing a flooring mat underneath your bathroom door so you don’t slip when you enter or exit it.
- For blocking out the sunlight, you can install a blind on your window.
- Install a smart thermostat to regulate your heating and cooling costs.
- Update your lighting by installing new lamps and light fittings.
- Replace old tiles with ceramic ones. Ceramic tiles look beautiful, and they are easy to maintain.
- To remove moisture, install an over-bathroom exhaust fans.
- Use a high-quality waterproofing solution to seal any cracks in the walls.
- Take out any wallpaper that is rotten and apply a new coat.
- If you are painting, opt for neutral shades such as taupe or cream. These colors work well with many types of furnishings.
- Install a raised washbasin in order to keep water from splashing around the room.
- Check to make sure that there is no electrical outlet near the edge of the bathtub or shower.
- A shower curtain rod can be used to keep water from pooling on the floor.
- Install a soap dispenser near the toilet.
Bathroom remodeling is not always costly. It is possible to save money by planning your bathroom remodel.
Solar Panels can increase your home’s value
Solar panel installation can boost the resale price of your home up to $20,000.
Because of technological advancements, solar energy systems can be made more affordable for homeowners. This makes them attractive if you want to sell your home within the next few years.
Research from the University of California Berkeley showed that homes with solar panel systems had higher sales prices than those which did not. These properties attracted buyers. They believed they would have lower utility rates.
Even though the initial cost to purchase a solar panel system will be higher, long-term savings such as lower monthly payments may offset this expense.
Solar panels are great for reducing electricity costs and can save you money when it comes to taxes. Installing solar panels allows you to qualify for federal tax credits that reduce your annual income tax liability by 30 percent.
Solar panels are a great option if you’re looking to sell your house soon. Solar panels will increase the appeal of your property and make it easier to sell.
What are some things you should avoid doing when remodeling your house?
It is not enough to just apply a coat of paint. If the space isn’t functional or comfortable, it doesn’t matter what color you choose.
Consider whether you could make your home more appealing by updating its overall design.
Remember that a home is more than just a structure for living. It’s also a place people use to live, work and play.
You must pay attention to every part of your space if you want to make sure that all this happens in a healthy and happy way.
For instance, if you have an outdated kitchen but a stunning view of trees out your window, don’t let them distract you.
Instead, try to integrate them into your design.
Add a deck or replace old cabinets with white oak.
Plants can be used to infuse the space with calmness and relaxation.
Make sure you think about how the traffic flows throughout your house. Visitors who see too many staircases between the front door and the back door or too many hallways that lead nowhere will find it frustrating.
You should make sure every room serves a specific purpose and there is no space left unattended.
You may even decide that some rooms aren’t worth renovating at all. For example, if you’re selling a home in which only one bedroom was updated, it might be best to leave the rest of the house untouched.
The same principle applies in bathrooms and kitchens. It might be a good idea to only renovate one bathroom or one kitchen, as it is easier to concentrate on that one area.
It’s always a better idea to start small and end up big.
What renovations add the most value?
Remodeling can raise the property’s resale values by $20k-50k per project.
An average remodel will cost $12-15k. This includes labor, materials and permits.
If you want to increase the value of your home, make sure that it offers an experience that people are willing to pay more for.
This could be a swimming pool, spa, outdoor cooking area, fire pit, wine barrel, etc.
To increase your home’s value, you can add bedrooms, bathrooms, living areas, and so on.
It is important to maximize your house’s potential if you want to sell it within the next few years. The more you spend on renovations, the more valuable your home becomes when it goes up for sale.
What are appraisers looking for in a home’s value?
Home appraisals are more than just an assessment of the property’s value. A home appraisal is more than a valuation of the property. It also helps to determine how much equity a buyer may receive from the sale of the property.
The location of a home is the most important aspect. The best place to live is the one you choose.
Another key consideration is whether there is sufficient parking space for visitors and family members. Buyers might decide to not buy the house if it doesn’t have enough parking.
Other factors include how large the lot is, what quality construction materials are used, architectural design features, landscaping, as well as whether there are termites or cracks.
These are the elements that appraisers consider when determining a property’s worth. The appraised value of a square foot can range from $5,000 to $25,000. This price includes land, improvements, and building.
Appraisals can be conducted by real estate agents, mortgage lenders, insurance companies, banks, or other financial institutions. An appraiser will first visit the property and take photographs and measurements. The appraiser will discuss his findings with the seller, and then provide a written report.
What are the home improvement expenses that can be tax deductible
Tax deductions for home improvements must be itemized on Schedule A (Form 1040) as miscellaneous itemized deductions. These deductions cannot exceed 2% on your adjusted gross income.
Here are some examples of items that may be eligible for this deduction
- Hypothecary interest
- Certain property types can be repaired
- Charitable donations
- Property taxes
- Insurance premiums
- State and local sales taxes
- Certain qualified real estate agent fees
- Certain utility bills
- Certain rent payments
- Certain legal services
- Certain travel expenses
- Certain donations
- Moving involves certain costs
- Certain costs associated with changing jobs
- Certain expenses are associated with moving.
- There are certain costs involved in quitting your job.
- There are some costs involved with selling a home.
- There are certain costs involved in selling a house
- Other miscellaneous itemized deductions
For more information on whether you are eligible, see IRS Publication 535.
It is a good idea to keep track of home improvements expenses by keeping receipts for at most six months following the purchase.
This will enable you to deduct the entire cost of the expense without worrying about depreciation.
You can, however, depreciate the value over time.
Depreciation is not calculated if you don’t include land, buildings materials, or fixtures.
These components are the basis of your property. Add them up.
If you own the property outright, the basis is equal to the fair market value when purchased.
The amount you borrowed to finance the purchase of the property is the basis.
Consider this: A $100,000 home bought for $80,000 would have a basis of $80,000.
The maximum allowed depreciation for most people is 30 years.
If you own an older home, 50 percent can be written off over five years instead.
To take advantage of this option you will need to file Form 4562 every year with your tax return.
If you’re planning to sell your house in five years, you don’t have to fill out this form.
This form is for those who plan to stay in their home for longer periods than five years.
- Even if you intend to sell your home shortly, you’ll likely recoup around 60 percent of your renovation costs, according to Remodeling’s 2020 (thespruce.com)
- Look into eco-friendly paints, and purchase floor mats from 100% recycled plastics. (bhg.com)
- Kitchen remodels projects can cost between $60-$46,000 and recoup almost 93% of the cost at resale. (extraspace.com)
- About 85 percent of a house is reusable,” says B.J. Perkins, Habitat’s ReUse program manager in Austin, Texas. (thisoldhouse.com)
- Like kitchen addition, bathroom projects have a return on investment of up to 62%. (extraspace.com)
- Daltile Modern Dimensions Matte Arctic White 4-1/4 in. x 8-1/2 In. Ceramic Subway Wall Ceramic Tile (10.63 Sq. ft. / case) 079048MOD1P1 – The Home Depot
- Gardner Bender Energy Usage MeterPM3000 – The Home Depot
- Walk-In Showers 101: All You Need to Know Before Your Bathroom Remodel – Bob Vila
- Finishing Basement Walls. How to Make Your Below Grade Space Liveable – Bob Vila
Ten Tips to Plan a Successful Home Remodel
Plan is key to any remodeling project. This includes getting estimates form contractors and setting aside enough time to complete the job. This also includes deciding what you want to do with your money.
Next, you will need to make a detailed listing of all materials and how much each item costs. You will need to ensure you have enough money available to pay for the entire list. An estimated budget should be calculated based upon your total cost estimate.
Finally, consider anything else that may affect the project’s final price, such as unexpected repairs.
A good rule of thumb is to keep the number of rooms in your house under 20 because they typically require less work and will be easier to manage. Consider starting small and tackling one room at a given time if you are planning major renovations.
This way, you won’t spend too much time and money on something that doesn’t turn out well.